Storage Types in Oakley
- Boat Storage Units in Oakley, CA
- Businesss Storage Units in Oakley, CA
- Vehicle Storage Units in Oakley, CA
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in Oakley, CA
- RV Storage Units in Oakley, CA
Other Storage Unit Options in Oakley, CA
Oakley is a medium-sized city in California's San Francisco Bay Area and a popular home base for big-city commuters. This family-oriented community offers plenty of local events, neighborhood activities and convenient amenities, attracting a growing population despite high living costs.
The History of Oakley
Oakley's roots stretch back to prehistoric times, with a handful of ancient sites recently discovered in the area. Experts believe the Bay Miwoks may have been the very first inhabitants of the area that's now Oakley. The land was explored by many Spanish conquistadors, but modern settlements were not established until 1897. By 1898, Oakley officially became a town with its very own post office. Farming has long been part of the community's heritage, and during the 1950s, Oakley was one of the leading producers of almonds in California.
Living in Oakley
Oakley has a quiet, small-town feel paired with a large variety of things to keep you and your family busy. Local parks and marinas provide the space to enjoy the fresh Bay Area air. Nearby attractions include the Lindsay Wildlife Experience, Indian Rock Park, Oakland Zoo, Redwood Valley Railway and the CuriOdyssey kids' museum.
There are several local traditions that bring the Oakley community together, like the Hometown Holiday Decorating Contest. Taste of Oakley is a summer event that provides diners with the opportunity to sample the menus of several local restaurants and experience the Oakley dining scene. You'll find a number of other holiday events, educational classes and local clubs in the city.
Oakley schools are served by the Oakley Union Elementary School District and the Liberty Union High School District. In addition to public schools, you can consider one of several private schools in the area.
Resources for Moving to Oakley
Here are a few helpful resources for planning your move to Oakley:
- Utilities: The Diablo Water District manages water services in Oakley, while Pacific Gas and Electric is the city's energy provider.
- Garbage and Recycling: As an Oakley resident, you're required to enroll in the garbage collection program, which provides regular pick-up of your trash and recyclables.
- Transportation: The Tri Delta Transit system provides public transportation in and around Oakley. You can also utilize the express line to the nearby Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station, which provides access to the larger Bay Area.
Oakley ranks high in terms of livability, thanks to relatively affordable housing and a low crime rate, even though the overall cost of living is on the higher end. The median value for a home in Oakley is much lower than in other parts of the Bay Area, making it a budget-friendly option for San Francisco commuters. There are single-family homes, apartments and townhomes to choose from, so you can find the perfect fit for your budget and lifestyle.