Storage Types in Alsip
- Boat Storage Units in Alsip, IL
- Businesss Storage Units in Alsip, IL
- Vehicle Storage Units in Alsip, IL
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in Alsip, IL
- RV Storage Units in Alsip, IL
Other Storage Unit Options in Alsip, IL
Alsip is a small village in Illinois' Cook County, just 16 miles southwest of Chicago's Loop. This Chicago suburb is a popular residential area for families that either commute into the city for work or want easy access to big-city amenities alongside the charm of village life.
The History of Alsip
The area was originally settled in the 1830s, becoming the home of a small group of German and Dutch farmers. In 1885, businessman Frank Alsip opened a brickyard in the area, earning the honor of having the community named after him. For many years, Alsip remained a small village whose most notable aspect was its proliferation of cemeteries, with five on its borders and three within its village limits.
In 1927, Alsip earned its official incorporation, but still remained a small, sleepy community. In the late 1950s, the Tri-State Tollway opened, breathing new life into the area. Alsip grew rapidly alongside other neighboring villages like Blue Island, Oak Lawn and Worth.
Living in Alsip
The village of Alsip has a distinctly small-town feel, with many residents traveling to the nearby big city of Chicago for shopping, dining, entertainment and jobs. However, there are a few things to enjoy within Alsip's city limits, including its recreational opportunities, local events and community parks.
The Sprayfari Aquatic Park is a popular spot for families, featuring several pools, a wading area, diving boards and a children's playground. At the Apollo Recreation Center, you can enjoy a walking and bike path, several sports courts and an indoor fitness center. The Fountain Hills Golf Club offers a nine-hole course and driving range.
Local community events and resources include CPR classes, recycling drives and library story times.
A handful of school districts manage the public schools in Alsip. There are also several private schools in the village, most of which are Catholic schools. Alsip is also home to Moraine Valley Community College, which offers two-year degrees in a number of fields.
Resources for Moving to Alsip
Here are a few helpful resources for your move to Alsip:
- Utilities: The village manages water and sewer services, and residential water billing occurs bi-monthly or monthly, depending on your home's location. Nicor Gas and Com-Ed are the area's primary energy providers.
- Garbage and Recycling: Alsip offers pickup for both trash and recycling. Recycling is provided by Republic Services for certain paper, plastic and aluminum products. The village also has recyclable drop sites for additional materials like batteries, scrap metal and paint.
- Transportation: Pace Bus serves the Alsip area, with several stops within the village limits.
- Pets: All pets in Alsip must be licensed. There's a limit of three pets per single-family dwelling and two pets for a multi-family dwelling.
- Personal Vehicles: All vehicles in the Village of Alsip must have a current sticker. You'll have a 30-day grace period to purchase your sticker.
Housing is relatively affordable in Alsip, especially when compared to the nearby city of Chicago. For this reason, it's becoming increasingly popular with commuters and families looking for budget-friendly housing. The median home price in Alsip is slightly lower than the national average, though it has been rising steadily in recent years.