Oops! Looks like there is limited availability for spaces that meet your search criteria.
Phone icon Please call us at 800-792-1602 and we'll help you find perfect storage space.
Storage Types in Merrillville
- Boat Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- Businesss Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- Vehicle Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- RV Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
Other Storage Unit Options in Merrillville, IN
Storage Unit Sizes in Merrillville
- 5x5 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 5x10 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 5x15 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 10x10 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 10x15 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 10x20 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 10x25 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
- 10x30 Storage Units in Merrillville, IN
Merrillville is a midsize town in northwestern Indiana, considered part of the greater Chicago metropolitan area. A major center for business and shopping, it's estimated to grow by several thousand people on weekdays due to commuters and other visitors. The town offers plenty of things to do, whether your interests lie in arts and culture, the outdoors, history or fine dining.
The History of Merrillville
The area that's now Merrillville was once a densely wooded region inhabited by Potawatomi tribe. Much of the woodland was cleared in 1834, and it became known as McGwinn Village. Settlers began moving to the area a year later when it was visited by Jeremiah Wiggins, who renamed it Wiggins Point. It quickly became a popular stop for travelers heading west.
After Wiggins passed away, the population decided to change the name to Centerville. It was later changed again to Merrillville in honor of Dudley and William Merrill, brothers who made significant contributions to the area's economic and cultural development.
The Merrillville Economy
Many people come to Merrillville because they want to take advantage of the area's economic diversity as well as its proximity to Chicago. The town is home to a number of different businesses, which provide a range of local jobs to consider.
Merrillville is considered northwest Indiana's retail trade hub due to its thriving commercial corridors. The U.S. 30 commercial corridor is home to many big-box retailers, car dealerships, hotels and restaurants. You can find a number of job opportunities in sales, hospitality and food service in the area. Or you can look for a job at Ameriplex at the Crossroads, a large industrial and technology park in Merrillville.
The town also hosts the headquarters for a handful of companies and organizations, including NiSource, White Lodging and Centier Bank.
The Merrillville Community School Corp. oversees the public schools in the city. There are also private and parochial schools in the area, like Andrean High School.
Resources for Moving to Merrillville
Here are a few resources to help you plan your move to Merrillville:
- Utilities: NIPSCO is the primary electricity provider for Merrillville homes. Two water utility companies serve the town: Indiana-American Water Company and Indiana Water Service Co.
- Garbage and Recycling: Waste Management coordinates the collection of residential trash and recyclables.
- Transportation: Gary Public Transportation facilitates a network of bus routes in and around Merrillville.
As part of the Chicago metropolitan area, Merrillville has a higher cost of living than Indiana as a whole. Even so, the median home price in the city is far lower than the national average, making both buying and renting extremely affordable. You'll easily be able to find something that fits your needs and budget.