Storage Types in West Columbia
- Boat Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- Businesss Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- Vehicle Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- RV Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
Other Storage Unit Options in West Columbia, SC
Storage Unit Sizes in West Columbia
- 5x5 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 5x10 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 5x15 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 10x10 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 10x15 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 10x20 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 10x25 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
- 10x30 Storage Units in West Columbia, SC
About West Columbia
West Columbia is a growing city in central South Carolina. It's a thriving commuter town that benefits from its close proximity to downtown Columbia, which provides jobs, entertainment arts and culture within easy reach. West Columbia is just north of its sister suburb, Cayce.
The History of West Columbia
The town of West Columbia was originally chartered in 1894 with the name Brookland. There was already a Brookland in the area, however, so the U. S.Postal Service designated the city New Brookland. In 1936 the name was officially changed to West Columbia. However, there are still a number of churches, businesses and a local school that have Brookland or New Brookland in their names.
During the early years of the town, residents lived on one side of the Congaree River, while the other side was home to several industrial plants. In 1905, the community was almost completely destroyed by a huge fire, and over the next several years the city worked to rebuild.
Living in West Columbia
The land around West Columbia is lush and beautiful, and is a major draw for many new residents. In addition, the city offers a low cost of living, including affordable housing, groceries, health care and more. West Columbia also has a relatively mild climate, with warm summers and winters that typically experience little or no snow. With such a close proximity to the major city of Columbia, a variety of jobs, stores, restaurants and entertainment options are just a short drive away. All these factors have contributed to a fairly steady growth rate in West Columbia.
There are many things to do and see within the city of West Columbia, so you don't need to travel far if you'd rather stay close to home. Local attractions include the Riverwalk Park and Amphitheater, the Riverbanks Zoo and Botanical Gardens, Lake Murray and the Congaree River.
West Columbia Schools
The schools in West Columbia are part of Lexington School District Two. In addition to its numerous elementary, middle and high schools, the district also offers early childhood centers and an alternative high school. There are also many private schools in West Columbia and its neighboring cities.
Resources for Moving to West Columbia
Here's some helpful information to make your move to West Columbia as easy as possible:
- Utilities: The city manages water and sewer services, while South Carolina Electric & Gas supplies power services to the area.
- Garbage and Recycling: The city provides collection services for both trash and recyclables, as well as limited quantities of yard waste.
- Transportation: The Comet is the primary public transportation option in the greater Columbia metro area, including West Columbia.
West Columbia Housing
Like its neighboring city of Columbia, West Columbia has a very affordable housing market. Prices are well below the national average, and there are many housing options to choose from. Whether you're looking for something compact and conveniently located or a spacious home for your family to grow into, you should be able to find it fairly easily.