Storage Types in Matthews
- Boat Storage Units in Matthews, NC
- Businesss Storage Units in Matthews, NC
- Vehicle Storage Units in Matthews, NC
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in Matthews, NC
- RV Storage Units in Matthews, NC
Other Storage Unit Options in Matthews, NC
Storage Unit Sizes in Matthews
Matthews is a mid-sized town near Charlotte, North Carolina. The picturesque town is popular with families looking for a small-town feel within easy reach of city amenities. With several local parks, well-rated schools and plentiful everyday conveniences, Matthews is a cozy suburb with plenty to offer.
The History of Matthews
The land where Matthews now stands was untouched woodland for many decades, until settlers arrived in the early 1800s. Most of the people who settled in the area were farmers, attracted by the fertile soil and plentiful game. They quickly cleared trees to make space for the community's flourishing cash crop, cotton. Within a short time, so many trees were cut down that the area was nicknamed Stumptown.
The small town's name was eventually changed to Fulltown, and cotton and lumber fueled its growth. By the second half of the 19th century, many homes and businesses had been established in the community. When the railroads arrived in the 1870s, they connected the town's farmers, merchants and citizens to other communities in the area. This helped expand the economy and draw new residents to Fulltown. Soon thereafter, the town's named was changed to Matthews to match the local railroad station, which had been named for a company director.
Things to Do in Matthews
Although Matthews is a fairly small town, there's no shortage of things to do. The Matthews Community Center, the Sportsplex and the Crews Recreation Center offer residents many recreational opportunities, including sports, fitness classes and more. Over half a dozen parks provide green space, and the Matthews Community Garden provides a place to plant flowers and produce with your neighbors. The Matthews branch of the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library, located in the Matthews Town Center, offers a wide selection of books, internet access and a train-themed children's area.
The McDowell Arts Center and Matthews Playhouse host a variety of both local and touring productions. Children can also enroll in one of the many arts programs, including acting classes, stage makeup sessions and summer theater camps, at Matthews Playhouse.
Matthews has a good mix of public, charter and private schools. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools oversees the public elementary, middle and high schools in the area. Other options include several public charter schools and private faith-based schools.
Resources for Moving to Matthews
Here are a few helpful resources to make your move to Matthews as easy as possible:
- Utilities: The Union Power Cooperative and Duke Energy supply the town with electricity, while Piedmont Gas is the source for natural gas. Most of Matthews receives water from Charlotte Water, while a small number of residents get it from Carolina Water Services of North Carolina.
- Garbage and Recycling: Matthews contracts with Republic Services/Allied Waste for waste pickup and recycling services. Single-family residential households receive one cart for garbage and one for recyclables. Additional carts are available for a fee.
- Transportation: The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) provides transit services to Matthews.
Home prices in Matthews have been steadily rising in recent years and currently are well above the national average. Even though Matthews is a fairly small town, it's a very desirable suburb, which has driven demand for housing. Many of the homes in Matthews are on spacious, tree-shaded lots. You can also find new-construction as well as some rental properties throughout town.