Storage Types in Mission
- Boat Storage Units in Mission, KS
- Businesss Storage Units in Mission, KS
- Vehicle Storage Units in Mission, KS
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in Mission, KS
- RV Storage Units in Mission, KS
Other Storage Unit Options in Mission, KS
Storage Unit Sizes in Mission
Mission is a small city in Kansas' Johnson County, considered part of the greater Kansas City metro area. It's home to many singles and married couples, as well as to some young families and retirees. One of the features that sets Mission apart from many other suburban communities is that its residential areas are made up of many different styles of homes on spacious lots, rather than adopting the similarly-styled look of master-planned communities.
The History of Mission
The land where Mission is now located was originally home to Kansas and Osage Indian tribes. In 1825, the land was given to the Shawnee Tribe, which was emigrating from Missouri and Ohio. However, by 1854, the act protecting the Native Americans' reservations was terminated, and the area was opened to white settlers.
The suburb that would become Mission was divided into 245 lots and sold off by the Breyfogel family. Within a decade, the area had a restaurant, a dry goods store, a drug store, a hardware store and a barber shop. Originally known as Mission Hill Acres, the suburb shortened its name to Mission in 1938.
Living in Mission
Although Mission is a fairly small city, it still maintains a network of parks and recreational facilities that provide plenty of activity options for locals. Several parks of varying sizes are located throughout the city, including Broadmoor Park, Mohawk Park and Andersen Park. Many of the parks feature recreational amenities like athletic fields, children's playgrounds and picnic shelters. The Rock Creek Trail is another popular recreational highlight, stretching over a mile and a half and connecting many major points within the city, including shopping, the farmers market and residential neighborhoods. The paved trail welcomes walkers, joggers and bicyclists.
The Mission Family Aquatic Center is a summertime favorite for many families, with its large swimming pools and child-friendly water-play areas. It also offers a swim club and options for hosting birthday parties.
Public school students in Shawnee attend Shawnee Mission School District schools.
Resources for Moving to Mission
The following information will be helpful as you plan your move to Mission:
- Utilities: Kansas City Power & Light and Mission Public Works are the town's primary utilities providers.
- Garbage and Recycling: You'll receive two disposal bins, one for trash and one for recyclables. The town is split into collection zones, so your pick-up days will depend on where you live. If you have extra trash that doesn't fit in the trash bin, you're required to label the bags with overage stickers (sold at City Hall and other locations).
- Transportation: The Mission Transit Center is the hub for public transportation services in Mission. Several different bus routes stop at the center.
The Mission housing market is split fairly evenly between rentals and homes for purchase, so you should have plenty of options no matter what your housing plan may be. The median home price in Mission is about even with the national average, and there are many budget-friendly homes to consider. Because it's a small community, you may find that housing options are slightly more limited than in larger cities. However, there is still a good mix of house sizes and styles, offering something for everyone.