Storage Types in West Babylon
- Boat Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- Businesss Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- Vehicle Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- RV Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
Other Storage Unit Options in West Babylon, NY
Storage Unit Sizes in West Babylon
- 5x5 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 5x10 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 5x15 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 10x10 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 10x15 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 10x20 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 10x25 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
- 10x30 Storage Units in West Babylon, NY
About West Babylon
West Babylon is a mid-size community that's part of the larger town of Babylon, New York. Its neighboring communities include Lindenhurst, the village of Babylon and Deer Back. Scenic Great South Bay borders West Babylon to the south, offering waterfront views. One of West Babylon's most interesting residents was poet Walt Whitman, who was a local schoolteacher in 1836.
The History of West Babylon
West Babylon built its first one-room schoolhouse in the 1800s to meet the needs of the growing population. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, the town was a resort area for affluent visitors, especially those coming from the hustle and bustle of New York City. After this, it evolved into a haven for middle-class families looking for a beautiful getaway.
While much of the population started off as only seasonal vacationers, soon residents started staying year-round. The post-World War II population boom that swept the nation also reached the small community of West Babylon, contributing to a significant growth in the number of residents.
The West Babylon Windmill
If you're new to West Babylon, you may be curious about the windmill icon that's used throughout the community. Although there are no windmills standing in West Babylon today, the structure holds a special significance for residents.
When Dutch farmers arrived in the West Babylon area in the 1800s, they discovered that the rich, fertile soil was perfect for growing tulips, dahlias and other flowering bulbs. As a result, a flourishing flower industry was quickly established, led by massive bulb farms like Bulk's Nurseries and Van Bourgondien Bros. Today, the image of the West Babylon windmill holds two meanings; it's a nod to the large windmill that stood at Bulk's Nurseries until the middle of the 20th century, and it pays a tribute to the community's rich Dutch heritage.
West Babylon Schools
Most of the schools in West Babylon are part of the West Babylon School District. The district boasts a very high graduation rate, with a large percentage of its graduates earning academic honors and moving on to higher education.
Resources for Moving to West Babylon
Here are a few handy resources for planning your move to West Babylon:
- Utilities: West Babylon's primary utility providers are PSEG Long Island and the town of Babylon utilities department.
- Garbage and Recycling: If you'll be living in a single-family home in West Babylon, you can generally expect curbside collections. Your collection schedule is typically determined by your home's location.
- Transportation: The most popular public transportation option in the West Babylon area is the Long Island Rail Road.
West Babylon Housing
Although West Babylon homes are significantly more expensive than the national average, prices are fairly standard for the region. The housing market in West Babylon offers a wide array of options, including single-family homes of all sizes and styles. Popular home features include cozy front porches, garages, backyards and historic character.