Storage Types in Garner
- Boat Storage Units in Garner, NC
- Businesss Storage Units in Garner, NC
- Vehicle Storage Units in Garner, NC
- Climate Controlled Storage Units in Garner, NC
- RV Storage Units in Garner, NC
Other Storage Unit Options in Garner, NC
Garner is a mid-size town in North Carolina's Wake County, a thriving suburb of Raleigh that's been growing steadily over the past few decades. It's part of the flourishing Research Triangle region and considered a bedroom community for the technology-focused hub.
The History of Garner
Like many small North Carolina towns, Garner arose out of necessity when railroads arrived in the area in the mid-1800s. Before that, it was farmland, mostly related to cotton and tobacco, which served the local economy. Few people lived in the area, but the population exploded with the arrival of the railroad.
Soon, Garner had a post office as well as several businesses. It was finally incorporated in 1905, with a central road — then called Railroad Street, but later renamed Main Street — that offered access to commercial buildings. A bank opened in Garner in 1910, and two years later, residents had access to telephone service.
Living in Garner
You'll find plenty to love about this town, from its open green spaces to its bustling downtown district. In addition to shopping venues and restaurants, you'll find an active arts community, centered on the Garner Performing Arts Center and the Towne Players of Garner. Since it's only a 10-minute drive from Raleigh, you don't have to sacrifice big-city entertainment for the pleasure of living in a much smaller town.
The low unemployment rate in Garner ensures plenty of opportunities for good jobs. Major employers in the area include the Wake County Public School System, Food Lion, Wallmart and Pergo. You also have the option of commuting to nearby cities to access an extended job market.
Wake County Public School Systems oversees the public schools of Garner, including Garner Magnet High School. There are also a few private schools in Garner, mostly faith-based and affiliated with churches in the community.
Resources for Moving to Garner
Here are some helpful resources to make it easier to get settled in Garner:
- Utilities: The city of Raleigh, Duke Energy and PSNC Energy are the primary utility providers in Garner.
- Garbage and Recycling: The town facilitates weekly collection of trash, recyclables, yard waste and bulky items.
- Transportation: The city of Raleigh manages a public transportation system that serves not only Raleigh but also most of its suburbs. The bus system is called GoRaleigh, and routes are continuously expanded as demand increases. The Triangle bus route provides a connection between Garner and major parts of the Research Triangle.
The Garner housing market is fairly affordable, with a median home price that's just slightly higher than the national average. You'll find a mix of established homes and new construction, many of which are situated on spacious lots. There are also many apartments in Garner with a range of sizes, prices and amenities.