Effective Date: March 23, 2012.
Last Updated: December 23, 2020.
- What Information We Collect
- How We Use Your Information
- Who We Disclose Your Information To
- Information Regarding Children
- Your Rights
- Legal Disclaimer
- External Links
- Questions and Contact Us
We collect information that identifies, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated with you ("Personal Information"). We collect Personal Information directly from you when you use our Services.
- Customer information. We collect your name, phone number, driver’s license or ID number, military identification number, email address, phone number, mailing address, unit number, and property information when you register for or use our Services.
- Account Credentials. If you register for an account online or through our mobile app, we collect your username, password, and passwords hints.
- Demographic Data. Sometimes, we may collect your birth date, age, gender, or military status.
- Payment Data. To process billing, we track amounts due, your bank or payment card information, past due amounts, and other relevant transaction data.
- Communication Data. When we communicate with you we may collect text messages, email, phone calls, or audio messages, which may identify you. We may retain these communications for quality assurance and training purposes.
- Device and Location Information. If you visit our website or use our mobile application, we collect information about your device including a device ID, IP address, geolocation, operating systems, or similar device features. We may also collect location information while you are at our properties. For example, we may use video surveillance, gate access codes, elevator access codes, or visitor records.
- Internet and Network Activity. As described in more detail in the next section on Cookies, if you visit our website or use the mobile application, we may collect information about your browsing and search history, interaction with the features of our Services, and responses to advertisements.
- Customizations and Preferences. We may collect information about the types of Services you use, home city, communications preferences, and other inferences drawn from your activity to improve and customize our Services.
We use the Personal Information we collect for the following business and commercial purposes.
- Operate our Business and Provide You Services. The main reason we use your Personal Information is to provide you with the Services you request, manage our facilities, maintain your account, process billing and payment, and otherwise run day-to-day operations.
- Communicating with You. We use your Personal Information to communicate with you about our services, your account, and if you contact us with a question or concern. We also use your information to deliver news, updates, and other types of communications, according to your subscriptions, alerts, and other preferences.
- Evaluate and Improve our Services. We may analyze the Personal Information we collect for quality assurance, training, and to understand how we can meet and exceed your expectations.
- Marketing and Advertising. We use the Personal Information we collect for marketing or advertising purposes. For example, we might send you promotional messages about products, services, programs, or events that may be of interest to you. We may also use the insights we gain about how you use our Services to improve the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns and ability to attract new customers.
- Website Operation. Cookies help us run our website securely and enable basic functions like page navigation.
- Performance and Analytics. Cookies help us analyze how you interact with our website. This enables us to monitor and improve our website performance, services, and your experience.
- Advertisements. Cookies allow us to deliver advertisements that are meaningful to you. Our third party advertising partners may use the Cookies to build a profile of your interests, deliver relevant advertising on other sites, and measure the efficiency of the advertisements.
If you wish to prevent Cookies from tracking your activity on our website or visits across multiple websites, you can set your browser to block certain Cookies or notify you when a Cookie is set. If you block Cookies, certain features on our website may not work. For more information on how you can customize your browser’s Cookie setting please visit the link to your web browser below:
Additionally, you may have the following options to opt-out of interest based advertising. We are not responsible for the completeness, effectiveness, or accuracy of any third party opt-out options or programs.
You may opt-out of interest-based advertising in general by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s or Network Advertising Initiative’s websites. You can also manage ad personalization by Google Ads through Google.4. Who We Disclose Your Information To
- With Service Providers, Contractors, and Agents: We may share your Personal Information with third parties who perform services on our behalf, such as payment processing, data analysis, email and hosting services, or customer services and support. These service providers may access your personal data and are required to use it solely as we direct, to provide our requested service.
- With Business Partners: We have agreements with other websites and platforms to distribute our services and drive traffic to our website.
- With Third Parties for Marketing and Advertising: We may share information we collect with third parties to design our marketing campaigns, render meaningful advertisements, and connect with you through social media networking.
Our website and Services are intended for users who are 18 years or older and we do not knowingly collect information from children under 18 years old. If we become aware that we have collected information from a child under 18 years old, we will delete such information from our records. If you are a parent or legal guardian and believe your child has given us information and you did not provide consent, please contact us at 800.611.2882.6. Your Rights
6.1 Review or Correct Your Information
If you are a current or former customer, you can access, update, or correct your Personal Information at any time by logging into your account, visiting your property management office, or contacting us.6.2 Unsubscribe or Opt-Out of Certain Communications
We may contact you via email, phone, or text message with important information about your account and promotional opportunities. You may unsubscribe or opt-out of receiving these communications by following the instructions provided. Ways to unsubscribe to certain communications include clicking on the unsubscribe link in any email or responding STOP to any text messages. You may also contact us to update your communication preferences. Please note that we may still need to contact you with important information about your account or payments due, and you cannot opt-out of these account administration communications.6.3 California Residents Only
If you are a California Resident, you may have additional rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA").
If we collected Personal Information about you in your role as an applicant, employee, or independent contractor, this Policy does not apply to you. Please contact the Public Storage Human Resources Department if you have questions about Personal Information related to your application or work with Public Storage. Additionally, if we collected Personal Information about you in your role as an employee, owner, director, officer, or contractor of a commercial client, investor, or developer this Policy does not apply to you.
The Right to Request More Information
You may have the right to request more information about how we have treated your Personal Information in the past 12 months, including:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which we collected that information;
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared that information; and
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you.
The Right to Request Access
You also may have the right to receive a copy of your Personal Information.
The Right to Request Deletion
Under certain conditions, you have the right to request that we delete your Personal Information. Please note that simply logging out or uninstalling an app does not delete your account or the Personal Information we may have collected.
How to Exercise these Rights
To submit a request to exercise these rights you may use one of the following three methods:
- Webform powered by OneTrust
- Mail: Public Storage, Attention: Privacy Officer, 701 Western Avenue, Glendale, California 91201
- Telephone: 800.611.2882
For all requests, please clearly state that the request is related to “Your California Privacy Rights,” indicate which type of request you are making, and provide your name, street address, city, state, zip code and an e-mail address or phone number where you may be contacted. We are not responsible for notices that are not labeled or sent properly or that do not include complete information.
Before responding to your request, we must first verify your identity using Personal Information you recently provided to us. If we are not able to verify your request we will contact you for more information. If we are unable to verify your identity after a good faith attempt, we may deny the request and, if so, will explain the basis for the denial.
Designating an Authorized Agent
You may designate someone to submit requests and act on your behalf (an "Authorized Agent"). To do so, you must provide us with written permission to allow your Authorized Agent to act on your behalf.
Do Not Track Requests
Third-Party Marketing and Selling
The CCPA requires notice and an opportunity to opt-out from certain disclosures of Personal Information considered to be a “sale” as defined in the CCPA. Public Storage may collect your unique online identifiers, internet and network activity, device identifier, Internet Protocol address, browsing history, search history, and information about how you interact with our website or mobile application. We may disclose this information with third party marketing companies, social media platforms, or analytics partners that support our online marketing efforts, deliver meaningful ads to you, connect with social media networking, and help us improve the use of our website and services.
Our website is not intended for use by children under the age of 18 and we do not knowingly collect or disclose information from children under 18 years old. We also do not intend to disclose Personal Information to third parties without providing you notice and an opportunity to opt-out.
You or your Authorized Agent may request to opt-out of certain disclosures of your Personal Information by submitting a request here.
We will not unlawfully discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
- Comply with federal, state, or local laws;
- Comply with a civil, criminal, or regulatory inquiry, investigation, subpoena, or summons by federal, state, or local authorities;
- Cooperate with law enforcement agencies concerning conduct or activity that the business, service provider, or third party reasonably and in good faith believes may violate federal, state, or local law;
- Exercise or defend legal claims;
- Detect security incidents and protect against fraudulent or illegal activity and prosecute those responsible for such activity; or
- Transfer Personal Information as part of a merger or acquisition, dissolution of Public Storage, or in the event of bankruptcy or any other transaction in which a third party assumes control of all or part of Public Storage.
If you have a questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, you may contact us or call us at 800.611.2882.