Effective Date: March 23, 2012.
Last Updated: December 31, 2019.
By using any of the Services, you consent to the terms of this Policy and our Terms and Conditions, which govern your use of the Services and are incorporated here by reference.
- What Data We Collect
When you interact with us through the Services, we may collect data from you.
We collect the following kinds of personal information:
- Customer information. For example, we collect your name, driver’s license or state ID number; email address, postal address, or phone number when you register for or use the Services. We also collect some of this information when you contact us.
- User credentials. If you use our website, we might collect your username, password, and password hints or pass phrases to create an account and authenticate users of the Services.
- Demographic data. We may collect information like your age, gender, country, and language preference.
- Payment data. If you make a purchase with us, we may collect your billing information. This includes your credit or debit card information and billing address.
- Device data. If you use our website, we may collect information about your device, operating system, software installed on the device, and device settings. We may also collect IP address, device identifiers, and error reports.
- Usage data. We may collect information about the programs and features you access; storage units and other products/services you rent/purchase; and the timing, frequency, and duration of your interactions through the Services.
- Location data. We may collect the geolocation information associated with IP addresses assigned to your devices.
- Information about your interests and preferences. We may collect information about your home city or your communications preferences. In addition to what you provide directly, we may infer your interests and preferences from other data we collect, such as the content and advertisements you interact with while using the Services.
- Third-party integrations. For example, if you connect your use of the Services through a third-party service (e.g., a social media platform), the third party may share with us certain information from your account.
This Policy is not intended to place any limits on how we handle information that is deidentified or aggregate consumer information. We, and third parties, may convert your personal information to create aggregate consumer information or deidentified data.
- How We Collect Data
We collect information you directly provide to us, such as personal information you provide when you use the Services, for example, when you complete a form to rent storage space, create an online account, or communicate with us.
- How We Use Data
- Operating our business. We use the data we collect to operate our business, including providing and improving the Services, specifically:
- To fulfill transactions at your request.
- To deliver storage facility and location-based Services.
- To maintain and collect payment on your account with us.
- To enforce your agreements with us.
- To enable you to participate in a Service’s features such as to enable you to participate in online surveys, entry sweepstakes, contests, or other promotions.
- To better understand how our customers use the Services, which allows us to continually improve and expand the Services.
- For internal business purposes.
- To ensure that we comply with applicable laws.
- Communicating with you. We use the data we collect to communicate with you, including responding to your requests or inquiries, for example, we might use your information to respond to your request if you contact us with a question or concern. We use your information to provide information about your account, your use of the Services, or other transactions that you request. We also use your information to deliver news, updates, and other types of communications, according to your subscriptions, alerts, and other preferences.
- Marketing and advertising. We use the data we collect for marketing or advertising purposes, on behalf of ourselves, as well as our partners and other parties. For example, we might send you promotional messages and deliver advertisements about products, services, programs or events that may be of interest to you. These may be offered by, or on behalf of, Public Storage, or by our partners, and other third parties with whom we have a relationship.
- Security, compliance, and enforcement. We use the data we collect for security, compliance, and enforcement purposes. Specifically, to:
- Protect the safety and security of our customers and our Services.
- Detect and prevent abuse, fraud, or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- Resolve disputes.
- Enforce our agreements, including our policies and terms of service that govern your use of the Services.
- As otherwise permitted by law or as we may notify you.
- When We May Share and Disclose Data
We do not and will not sell your personal information. However, there are times when the data we collect may be shared with third parties for a business purpose. We share your data with the following parties:
- Third-party businesses. We may use third-party businesses to assist us in improving our Services and your customer experience, such as:
- Assisting us in Service operations;
- Managing a database of customer information;
- Hosting the Services;
- Designing and/or operating the Services’ features;
- Tracking the Services’ activities and offering analytics;
- Enabling us to send you special offers;
- Performing other administrative services; or
- Performing other services designed to assist us in maximizing our business potential.
- Public Storage family of companies. We may share your data with our parent, subsidiaries, and affiliates.
- In corporate transactions. Your data may be shared or transferred in connection with any proposed or actual financing, merger, purchase, sale, joint venture, reorganization, bankruptcy, liquidation, or any other type of acquisition or business combination of all or any portion of Public Storage.
- To comply with the law or protect ourselves. We may disclose your personal data to:
- Comply with applicable laws or respond to valid legal process.
- Protect the safety and security of our customers or the Services.
- Prevent or investigate fraud, abuse, or other unlawful or unauthorized activities.
- Protect the rights or property of us or third parties, including enforcing the terms of our agreements.
- For marketing purposes. We may share your data, including personal information, with third parties for marketing or advertising purposes. See Sections 4, 5, and 6 for information about your choices regarding such activities.
- Information you make public or share with others. The Services may permit you to post or submit written content (e.g., reviews, comments, etc.), a user profile, audio or visual recordings, computer graphics, pictures, data, or other content, including personal information (“Submitted Material”). If you choose to submit Submitted Material to any public area of the Services, your Submitted Material will be considered “public” and will be accessible by anyone, including Public Storage. Personal information included in Submitted Material is not subject to this Policy’s usage or sharing limitations, or other obligations, regarding personal information, and may be used and shared by Public Storage and third parties to the fullest extent permitted by law. Public Storage encourages you to exercise caution when making decisions about what you disclose in such public areas. For more information on how Submitted Material is treated under the Services’ Terms and Conditions click here. California minors still retain some rights with respect to this information and should see Section 6 below for more information.
- Sweepstakes, contests, and promotions. Public Storage may offer sweepstakes, contests, and other promotions (“Promotions”), including Promotions jointly sponsored or offered by third parties, which may require submitting personal information. If you voluntarily choose to enter a Promotion, your information, including personal information, may be disclosed to Public Storage, co-sponsors, service providers, and other third parties, including for administrative purposes and as required by law (e.g., on a winners list). By entering, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that Promotion, which may include consent to additional or differing data practices from those contained in this Policy. Please review those rules carefully.
We may also share your data for other reasons we may describe to you.
- What Choices You Have
You have certain choices about how we collect, use, and share your data. For example:
- Communications choices. You can choose whether you wish to receive promotional messages from Public Storage and which types of messages you wish to receive. If you receive promotional messages from us and would like to opt out, you may do so by following instructions within those messages. You may also adjust your communications preferences by logging into your Public Storage account and viewing your preferences. Please note that these preferences do not apply to informational or transactional communications regarding the Services or other communications that have their own unsubscribe method.
- User information. You can access, edit, or remove information in your user account by logging into your account. If you are unable to access your account, or if you would like to request that we delete other personal data referenced in this Policy, you may also contact us using any of the methods described in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Policy.
- Location data. You can choose not to share certain location data by adjusting the settings on your device. Please note, however, that if you choose not to share this data, you may not be able to access or use location-based Services.
- Third-party sharing. You can choose to limit the data that third-party services (e.g., social media platforms) share with us using the options provided to you by the applicable third-party service (for example, the options provided by a third-party social media platform when you connect your social media account with the Services). You can also disconnect your use of the Services from the third-party service at any time using the options provided to you by the applicable third-party service. Please note, however, that if you disconnect from the third-party service, that will not delete the data we may have previously collected while you were connected.
- Other choices. You also have choices about the data you provide directly to us when you register for or use the Services. Please note, however, that if you choose not to provide data necessary to provide certain features of the Services, your use of the Services may not include those features.
- Children and Minors
The Services are for a general audience and we do not knowingly collect any personal information from children younger than the age of thirteen (13). We will delete any personal information collected that we later determine to be from a user younger than the age of thirteen (13) as required by applicable law. If you are a parent or guardian of a child under the age of thirteen (13) and believe he or she has disclosed personal information to us, please contact us using any of the methods described in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Policy.
Any California residents under the age of eighteen (18) who have registered to use the Services, and who posted content or information on the Services, can request removal by contacting us using any of the methods described in the “How to Contact Us” section of this Policy. Public Storage will then make reasonable, good faith efforts to remove the post from prospective public view or anonymize the content, so the minor cannot be individually identified to the extent required by law. This removal process cannot ensure complete or comprehensive removal. For instance, third parties may have republished or archived content by search engines and others that Public Storage does not control.
- Your California Privacy Rights
In some circumstances, California residents may have additional rights over personal information.
The Right to Request More Information
You may have the right to request more information about how we have treated your personal information in the past 12 months, including:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which we collected the information;
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting the information;
- The categories of third parties with whom we shared the information; and
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
The Right to Request Access
You also may have the right to request access to your personal information.
The Right to Request Deletion
Under certain conditions, you may have the right to request that we delete your personal information. Please note that simply logging out or uninstalling an app does not delete your account or the personal information we may have collected.
How to Exercise these Rights
To submit a request to exercise these rights, please contact us at:
- Webform powered by OneTrust
Please be aware that, even if you opt out of receiving marketing communications from us or request that we delete your information, we may still need to contact you for customer service, product information, or other important news.
Before we can respond to your request, we must verify your identity using personal information. If we are unable to verify your identity after a good faith attempt, we may deny the request and will provide a basis for the denial.
Designating an Authorized Agent
You may designate someone to submit requests and act on your behalf (an “Authorized Agent”). To do so, you must provide us with written permission to allow your Authorized Agent to act on your behalf.
Do Not Track Requests
Some web browsers or smartphones have the ability to set “Do Not Track” requests to block user activity from being tracked across web pages or devices. We do not recognize “Do Not Track” signals.
Third-Party Marketing and Selling
We do not provide your information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes unless you have requested or authorized us to do so. Nor do we intend to sell your personal information to third parties without providing you notice and an opportunity to opt-out.
We will not unlawfully discriminate against you for exercising any of these rights.
- Security of Data
Public Storage uses appropriate and reasonable security measures as required by relevant law. It is important to remember that the Internet is not 100% secure. We cannot promise that your use of our website will be completely safe. We recommend that you help us keep your data safe by taking reasonable steps such as keeping your passwords private and not disclosing sensitive personal data in places that can be accessed publicly.
- Third-Party Sites
The Services may also contain links to, or integrations with, other websites, platforms, or services that are not operated or controlled by Public Storage (“Third-Party Sites”). Please note that this Policy does not apply to those Third-Party Sites. For more information on how those Third-Party Sites collect, use and share data, we suggest that you contact the operators of those Third-Party Sites directly.
- Storing Data
We retain personal information for as long as necessary to provide the Services and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other necessary purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements.
- How to Contact Us
If you have a questions about this Policy or our privacy practices, you may contact us by any of the following methods:
- Mail: Public Storage, Attention: Privacy Officer, 701 Western Avenue, Glendale, California 91201
- Telephone: 800.611.2882